Thursday, July 30, 2009

Day 9, Wednesday July 29th, Munich, Germany




6:14 train!!!! I got everything ready the night before and there was no traffic that early in Vienna, took us 10 mins to get there. The train was really nice, I think it was new. Gaby and I said our goodbyes and I was off to Germany. It was a much better ride for pictures this time around and I was kinda kicking myself that I didn't stay in Saulzberg when I saw it from the train while making a quick stop. It was pretty and the mountains were great, then I reminded myself, I live in the Rockies, I have bigger mountains. But I guess it's always nice to see others, and makes you appreciate where you live. I did make an attempt to at least get some pictures of them. They are pretty.

Once in Munich, my hostel was 2 blocks away from the train, awesome!! But I got there at 10:30 and check in was 2, haha oh well. This place was crawling with 20 somethings, but mostly English speaking, yeay. I guess Wombats was an Australian owned place, so it catered to their country folk. Luckily, at 11 a free walking tour started, so everyone hanging around the lobby left. This place was really cool and I'd recommend it to anyone, if you can handle a big house party at night. Anyways, I stored my bag and went back to the train station to get a ticket to Paris, 135 Euros, not too bad, 6 hours and only 1 change. Ok, off to Hard Rock Cafe #1!!!!! I had two maps, one of the city from the hostel and 1 printed from google to give me directions to HRC. Even if you know exactly where you are, it is still difficult to read a map in another language! So, I walked and walked and walked and walked some more. Luckily I was taking pictures at the same time, because I was WAY past it. But I did finally find it and was happy to get into some A/C and get a nice tall Mojito! I also had a chicken sandwich. I thought the menus were the same in all locations, but there aren't, I guess over here it is the American version of food. It was good though. Across the ally was the famous Hoffbrau house. It was going crazy with a band and tons of people drinking beer. It was super busy and seemed like a place for groups of people, I felt a little out of place alone, so I just walked around for a few. Back out on the street, I promptly went the wrong direction AGAIN, haha. So I decided that I was going to take the subway, per my map, it would take me right back to my hostel, perfect! And it pretty much did. Since I was so hot, again upper 80 degree day, I rested for a bit. I knew there was more of Munich to see, like Olympic Park, but I figured I'd just miss it. When I checked in, I got a ticket for a free small beer (it was a cute little thing), so I decided that since the bar opened at 6 I'd head down. Again, I was feeling a bit out of place, but I decided to just drink and check e-mail and stuff. Gotta love a hostel that has WiFi in it for free. Finally, 2 guys from Munich sat down and started to chat with me, and they gave me some of their beer, whoo hoo. Theirs names were Boris and Stanly. Boris was originally from Slovenia and Stanly was from Nigeria. I asked them what I should do that night or where I could see the city from a hill or something. Their suggestion, the observation tower at Olympic Park!!! Yeah, that's awesome. So they gave me directions, then decided to walk me to the subway. While walking and talking, Stanly thought it would be cool to see it too, so he just went along with me, Boris' girlfriend was already calling him wondering why his beer was taking so long, haha. When we walked up the stairs, is my shock and amazement... it was BMW's World Headquarters!!!!!!! It was beautiful!!!! I couldn't believe I was actually standing in front of it, I had seen pictures and Bob told me it was in Munich, but this place is huge, so I never thought I'd get a chance to see it. I was so excited I was dancing around (surprising right? I'm a little crazy) The museum for BMW is at the base of the building, and was closing shortly, so we hurried in and took a peak around. The store inside was already closed, but I got a good look around, and of course pictures. Then we headed up the observation tower (it has a name, but I can't remember it) and look out over Munich. I was really huge!!!! Got there just as the sun was going down, so the lights of the city were on and it was an amazing view. After that we had a glass of wine in the bar that rotates, that was fun. Stanly was very nice and made sure I got back to my SUPER noisy hostel and was on his way.

I was kinda surprised, I got put in a room with 5 other people, 4 guys and 1 girl, it was a family from Poland that were there for the soccer finals. It was weird, but they were quiet sleepers so I didn't really mind. The hostel was built so well that once you were in your room, the only noise you could here was from the street, nothing from the bar downstairs, it was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment