Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 8, Tuesday July 28th Vienna, Austria




I got to sleep in, yeay! And after a nice breakfast and doing some laundry, we headed to the city center of Vienna. More walking, oh boy! But 1st, Gaby took me to the Bank Austria to exchange my Hungarian Forint for Euros, she was able to do it for free, so that was awesome! Then McD's, of course and then to the train station next door to buy my ticket to Munich, I'm so glad we did that! 49 Euros, not bad, but I have to leave at 6:14am, oh well, it saves me money.

Then the walking and riding on the metro/tram begins, LOTS of it. Office buildings, national buildings, opera houses, city hall, concert halls, palaces and Churches, my oh my. I took lots of pictures and of course it was hot as haties again, but at least there was a nice breeze today. It really was a beautiful city, but I think we were trying to take in too much at a time. I'm not even quite sure I remember all of the buildings. I'll have to study my pictures when I get home. Although, while Gaby was practicing her English with me, she over explained everything, so it is quiet possible, once I see the pics, I'll remember. I kinda felt bad because the over explaining was with everything and I was kinda getting annoyed, haha

The one building I do remember very well is St. Stevens Cathedral, it was breathtaking! This was the only building we went inside of and I'm so glad we did. It had enormous stained glass windows, as to be expected and an extravagant pipe organ. I'm sure my jaw was on the floor the entire time I was in this church. We didn't spend much time here but it was just enough, amazing. But all of this was almost overwhelming. I even passed up a walk down a hill to part of a Palace, just because we would have to walk back uphill to leave.

I guess lunch wasn't on the schedule of my tour guide, since it was after 2 and she explained that most restaurants were not open. So we went back to McD's to look at something on the net and I could down a bottle of water and some fries. I was getting dehydrated, and Gaby admitted that she forgets to drink water. So, by this point, I've now noticed that my knees and ankles have swollen, lol. What do I do to myself! The other really funny thing is, while walking in the city center, it is full of horse carriages! Yep, I'm allergic to horses!!! Great, they were everywhere, I don't have to even touch the things for me to get sneezy! Oh boy again! So needless to say I was not exactly enjoying this walking and sneezing. But it was worth it, I got to see it all.

Lastly, we went to dinner by car, even Gaby was sick of public transportation by now. I had the traditional Schnitzel, a breaded piece of flat pork w/ fries. Not bad a little plain and then I finished it with a piece of "Apfelstrudel". Another local fair, pretty good, but kinda plain for a desert, next time, Italy, just for the desserts, LOL We also went to some famous Farris wheel so I could see it, then we were both done with walking. I really didn't have ankles anymore! Oh the price I pay for wanting to see everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment