Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 1 and 2 run together. Egar, Hungary





I left Denver at 4pm and after a plane change in DC, I left the US at 8pm MDT. The flight from Denver to DC was great, but I made the mistake of falling asleep. I even attempted to watch the in-flight movie, Monsters vs Aliens, but just as I always do on a plane, I snoozed right through it. However, DC to Frankfurt was a different story, I was supposed to sleep on this flight, it was an overnighter, but for the most part, that didn't happen. I chatted with an Army guy that sat next to me; he's staying in Germany for four weeks to do some training. But once the in-flight movies started, that discussion was over and I watched "The Secrets of a Shopoholic" or something like that. Upon trying to sleep, the Army guy, being very tall, was elbowing me and kneeing me and it was all sorts of horrible. I think at one point, he was almost sleeping on my shoulder, he was cute, but I didn't need to be his pillow. And did I mention United Airlines doesn't give free alcohol on international flights anymore, I was looking forward to that the most, haha This flight was only 7 hours long, but felt longer then the 15 hour one to Sidney, maybe because of the 1st flight also, I don't know. My work out came trying to get onto the flight from Frankfurt to Budapest... I had 1 hour to echange my ticket for a boarding pass that they didn't give me in Denver, get through customs, get through security again and get to the complete opposite side of the terminal to catch the next flight. While exchanging the ticket (waiting 15 mins for 2 people to help a huge line), the lady at the counter told me, "you are literally going to have to run to catch this plane". Oh just great! Then of course, I got into the worst line in customs, "come on!", sped through security and then, yes, RAN down stairs, through tunnels, back up stairs, through long corridors and I got to the gate, practically the very last gate, just in time to get in line. I was pretty sure I was going to die! Hot, humid and not to mention, I don't run!! Luckily the plane was ice cold and I passed out the moment my head hit the cold leather of the Lufthansa plane. Once in Hungary it was super hot and sticky, but I only waited about 20 mins for my cousins wife to pull up to the airport, find me and head on out. She had already driven 1 1/2 hours, so we went to a toy store to let my little cousin Nate stretch his little legs and to cool off, the big stores have the A/C!
Now off to their town, Egar. It was super cool that I saw a truck, hauling gear to the F1 track, for my favorite driver, Kimi Raikkonin. I was so awe struck, I forgot to get a picture... even though my camera was in my lap, how often does that happen! I did get a picture of the sign to the track while we drove by, it's going to be amazing. Riding along through Hungary, it strikes me as odd or funny that my mind is in a continuous state of looking at something new and trying to compare it to somewhere else. Why is it so difficult for me to just absorb the new and let it be magnificent all on it's own. Lesson #1 apparently, it's time to see and learn new things, not compare the old. The history here is amazing and sad, but I like to learn and I think tomorrow will be some fun to walk around and take some pictures. I met up with my cousin Nick around 8:30pm and we got my accommodations situated at a friends flat, Judith. Lovely little place and she is super sweet. We then went for an evening stroll into Downtown and got some pictures of the city at night. Some wonderful cafe's light up in the night with white lights, like Christmas. We then sat and had a really great glass of wine from Egar and just chatter. I got back to the flat around 11:45... time to attempt some sleep, it's only 3:45 in the afternoon at home, so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment