Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day 24, Thursday, August 13th. London, England

My attempt to wake up early and spend some time with Rhys this morning didn't quiet work out. Kate really could care less that I'm visiting, but Rhys is having a good time with me. Kate was so very happy that "my Vanessa" (the nanny) was back from being on sick leave. I did get to see them for a little bit while they ate breakfast and then they are off to Portugal tomorrow for a 10-day Holiday with family.

I also attempted to leave the house early enough to see the "Changing of the Guard" this morning, but not at Buckingham Palace, there is another one that is less popular (crowded) that does a horseback parade down Pall Mall at 11 am. However, I got to experience the train delays and cancellations here. I didn't get to Pall Mall until 11:40 and I left a little after 10, ugg. Oh well, what can ya do? So I walk a little ways and decided to head toward Westminster Abby. I had to pass the House of Spencer on the way (family home for Diana Spencer, princess of Wales) and some other ones like that. While walking, I was passing Buckingham Palace and couldn't believe the crowd, what was going on? So I walked closer and found a place, right on the railing of the round about that is front of the palace. Something was a stir in front and I didn't think it was changing of the guards there, it was almost 12. So I asked someone, "do you know what's going on?", her answer was yes and wouldn't say anymore, probably didn't speak much English, fine, so I watched. And all of a sudden the gates opened and I saw the guard, they came out and went the opposite direction from where I was, of course. Then the marching band came out, followed by the less traditional guard, and they marched right in front of me!! It was pretty cool, I don't know how I got so lucky!

Once that excitement was over, I continued to head towards Westminster Abby. Without any distractions this time I found it, and then realized, I had actually seen it the day before but didn't know it. I was magnificent and I went inside (no photography) and it was 15 pounds to take the tour, no thanks, I don't need to see this cathedral that bad, even if it is the place where kings and queens are coronated and where Diana's funeral was. I did get some pictures of the outside thought. It's not as big as Notre Dame, but it is impressive.

The city was crawling with people today, it was a beautiful clear (ish) day. Next stop, Salvador Dali museum (or maybe lunch). I did eat lunch, then headed into the museum. Funny, all the big museums in London are free, all the ones I want to see have a fee. So I walked around for about an hour and a half, then my feet were KILLING me, but it was worth it, he is an amazing artist. So I thought it's be a good idea to get a package deal of the London Eye and a river boat. 20 minutes in line, just to get a ticket!! lol By now it was 4 and I had to take the boat ride 1st, at 4:45 then get on the eye. I found some grass to sit on and kick back in the sun.

The river cruise was cool, because they tell you what all the buildings are along the river and tell you what the significance of the bridges are and stuff. I really enjoy them. I even got a picture of the replica Globe Theatre, that was cool. You can still see productions in there, but it's an open air theatre and no umbrellas are allowed, you'd have to wish on a clear night/day for that show. Then the London Eye was awesome too. I was built in 1999 and opened in 2000 and was only supposed to be in operation for 5 years, it's been so successful, that it will continue to give rides until 2025. It takes 30 minutes to go in a full rotation and it never stops, you have to get on while it's still moving, kinda crazy. Since it was such a clear day, it was perfect for this ride in the sky, I'm glad I didn't do it yesterday.

My feet were feeling pretty good by this point, which I thought was kind of weird, but I had wrapped the bad one in electrical tape that I brought along with me, just in case, and it did a nice job. So I thought that I'd head back to Harpenden, since I did have a few tubes/trains to catch. Trains were still on a delay, wow!

I got back to the house, just in time to say goodbye to Rhys, one more time. Kate was already in bed. And I then just relaxed and left Diana and Julian to finish some work they had to do before they fly out. I got some internet stuff done as well. Then we all had a nice dinner and then said goodbye. I'll be here until Saturday, but they leave at 5 am, so I won't see them again before they take off. It was really good to see them and I hope I get a chance to come back again someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment