Monday, August 3, 2009

Day 12, August 1st, 09, Edinburgh, Scotland



My flight to Scotland wasn't until 2:30, but there were trains to catch and stuff like that, so I was up at 8 again. Breakfast was the same, bread, coffee and juice, but it filled the hole. As simple as it could be, I packed up and headed out. Found the perfect option to get to the airport, the train... 8.5 euros, that's a pretty good deal. Of course the airport is just a bunch of hurry up and wait and I was there about 2 1/2 hours before the flight. So I got through all the stupid lines, got through security before anyone else and sat and wrote my journal. I was the 1st one on the plane in the group that was 2nd, wow, this is nice and after a short wait for a bus to take us to customs, I was the 1st one in the "other passports" line. Haha, the local passports line was HUGE!!! Found my bags w/ no problem. Uneventful, just the way I like it! Found information and asked about a bus, I really had no clue where my hostel was located, just had an address. So I got a bus and it was perfect. They are soooooooo nice here. I had someone talk to me on the bus, found my hostel and they were super nice. I was so happy to be in a country that spoke English, there is nothing wrong with the other countries, but it's just nice. It is absolutely phenomenal in Edinburgh! The hills are amazing, but that means there is a lot of walking up hill too, haha. The buildings are beautiful and everyone is nice here. I was nearly dancing in the streets I was so happy. I have a private room in my hostel and I'm pretty sure that w/o the bathroom, this room is probably the same size as the Hotel I was in, in Paris! But no internet, darn.

So, of course the 1st stop, Hard Rock Cafe! I walked and took pictures and a couldn't stop smiling the whole way, it's awesome. Along the way, there is a small walking area where they post silly mocking "street" signs for people to laugh at, one said, Parking for Drive Thru Customers Only and others had pictures like a car driving off a cliff and stuff like that. I know my descriptions are not doing any justice, but they were funny. I'll try to post a couple. When I got to HRC, I did forget my HRC card in the room, so had to go all the way back to get it, it was about 10 min walk, up and down steep hills. So, back at Hard Rock, it was a good thing I got the card, there was a 1 1/2 hour wait. WOW. With this card, you get priority seating, so I only had to wait about 5 mins and I was in, haha! I usually sit at the bar, but this place was packed. It was a small cafe, but I think the loudest I've ever been to, these Scots were partying! I had the best hamburger that I've had in months, it was amazing. And the special drinks for the month was a white sangria, YUMMM. Almost too smooth, I really could have done some damage if I had more then one. Well, I got all my shwag and was on my way.

I headed to a park called Carlton Hill to watch the sun set, I was a little late, but it was still nice and I got to overlook the city while the lights were coming on, it was cool. I chatted w/ a guy named Will, from South Carolina, studying in Oxford, in Edinburgh for a school trip. We had a good laugh about how the clouds were very ominous looking and somehow got on a conversation about Elvis and how I must be a closet fan... and just random silliness, it was fun. But then, I ran out of card on my camera (wouldn't have happened if I could see how many pics I'd taken, grr) and I was off to hit the Burger King for internet. Internet didn't work and I just decided it was time to drop off my stuff and try to hit a pub. The only thing I hit was a wall, haha, not literally, but you never know w/ my luck on this trip. I sat down for a moment and fell asleep. I was so tired it took all I had to put the sheets on the bed and get my contacts out, and I was out like a light!Day 12, August 1st, 09, Edinburgh, Scotland

No comments:

Post a Comment